Tinas Little Corner

8 October 2008

Espalier Kiwi

Espalier kiwi
Espalier kiwi Espalier kiwi


The photos show my kiwi with a trellis, I rigged up in the flower pot, using bamboo canes.

I intend to cut the height, all the new green growth level with the horizontal bamboo. Hopefully next spring I will get shoots just below that cut which I will then train to go either side along the horizontal cane which I will tie in.

The main centre stem, that was cut, I am hoping will start a new leader that I can train up to the next horizontal cane which is not added yet but will be. I am thinking about 15'' between the two horizontal canes and then the process is repeated.

The reason I have the kiwi still in the pot, is because A) we could be moving and b) not sure where to site in the garden if we stay. This is new to me and I am posting in the hope that I have understood correctly from the information I have read. The horizontal bamboo was positioned at the height when i placed the pot to the ground and imagined where I would like the first part of the espalier to start.

This very well may not be the correct way. It is my understanding of what I have read please do your own research if wanting to try this.

On saying that I will post picture updates as and when I can for those interested.

In the photo it appears that I have two horizontal bamboo supports, this is not so, it is actually the house the only horizontal support is just below the green leaves on the main stem.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home